Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Nashville Orientation

Hard to believe that it is September all ready.

It’s also hard to believe that I’ve officially spent one full day now, as a resident of Nashville.
Besides a few passing thoughts and prayers for all that I have left behind in PA, I haven’t really processed my move too much. I know that Westminster is back in session, and that things are going on in Erie, but this transitional time has really kept me from thinking too much about that now distant community. I certainly miss my WC friends, and wish I could be physically present in Erie to give a few hugs out, but this new community feels so natural and well established it’s hard to remember that I haven’t always known them or lived here. It’s such a blessing to feel the peace of God in this new place. . .

Today was the first day of Nashville orientation. We got up, and ventured (in my car—I hope I get used to major city driving) over to 2nd Pres, and the “Toolshed.” The Toolshed is the house on the 2nd Pres property, where three other YAVs live this year. Liz, Bonnie, and Karol live there together. All three girls are 2009 college grads.

After a brief schedule meeting with Susan, the Nashville site manager, we all loaded into 2nd’s 1989 van, and headed off to visit the agencies Liz and Karol will be serving this year. Our first stop was in a HUD (Housing & Urban Development) community. Nations, a nonprofit agency for immigrants is settled among the other houses. As our group of nine women walked in, we were immediately the attention of about 10 little children. They were working on art projects. Adorable does not even begin to describe their precious faces. In a back room, we gathered around a table with Chris, the director of Nations, who described to Liz (who will be working there) and the rest of us, what role Nations plays in that community. What Chris shared with us, was incredibly enlightening. He shared the stories of Burundi refugees: how generations of Burundis have only ever lived in refugee camps. How the US invites them to come over, but then expects them to pay for their travel expenses—which would be fine, except that most of these refugees have no skills, are illiterate in all languages, and have one minimum wage job per household to support typically 5+ people. Before they can even get themselves established, debt overwhelms them. The government will teach them basic skills (understanding how electricity work, bus schedules, grocery stores etc.) but that assistance only lasts about 90 days. After 90 days, the government believes them to be well established. Without organizations like Nations, these refugees could not assimilate into our culture, could not learn English, and truly have no hope to function within the US.

I was shocked by what I was hearing. I suddenly felt very sheltered and unaware. There are so many issues out there . . . so many shortcomings, so many of my brothers and sisters left out. Thank goodness there are people who hear the gentle whisper of God (whether they recognize it as that or not is a different subject) and do the best they can to meet the needs of those around them.

After our Nations visit, we headed over to Preston Taylor Ministries (PTM), the agency Karol will be working with. PTM is settled just outside another public housing development. This ministry reaches out to the children in the neighborhood with after school programs and homework help. PTM’s mission is to have the children discover their God inspired dreams, and to improve their reading skills. The space they have is incredible. Beautiful pictures and murals, computer rooms, study rooms, a fabulous playground (designed by some PTM 4th graders), and walls covered with Bible passages. The directors of PTM have made an investment into that community, and the students and community is blooming under the guiding hand of PTM.

The work of these organizations is incredibly impressive. They are truly seeing needs and filling them. I’m eager to hear the stories Liz and Karol share. I’m also very hopeful that I can encourage the Vanderbilt students I will be working with to get involved, as both places depend heavily upon volunteers. My work at Vandy will certainly be different, but I pray that I can and will make a difference in the lives I’ll be working with, just as Liz’s & Karol’s work will.

No comments:

Post a Comment