Thursday, September 17, 2009

needs & stretching

Last night, as I was falling asleep I asked God to open my eyes to those who are forgotten and to open my ears to the stories that are often left untold. I don't know why His answering of my prayers still surprises me. . . but that's just how it is.

On my way to work, I saw a group of men, who I presume to be homeless, gathered under a bridge. They appeared to be a community, laughing, talking, and very much present with each other. As I drove from beneath the cover of the bridge, I wondered how many of my fellow commuters saw these men. If they did see them, did they recognize them as people? So often I think we (generally speaking) don't recognize that men, like this group, have gifts to share with others. They all have gifts, all have spirits, and all have problems. Just like me. Exactly like me. My circumstances have been different in some aspects, but I'm sure if I talked with them, we would have similar life experiences in one way or another.

Those thoughts have been heavy on my heart today. Each time I look out into the rain, I think of them. And then I think of the Vandy students who are walking along, who have just as many needs as those men do. Some needs might be the same; some could be very different. But needs all the same, just like the needs I have.

Where do I go from here? How do I meet those needs?

I'm going to keep praying that God open my eyes and ears, even if it means knowing things I would rather not see or hear. But I guess that's what this year is all about. A year of stretching myself and remembering that stretching (of any kind) keeps us flexible, making it easier to meet all those needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment